Braid-outs are a great way to achieve a textured/wavy look. They are also very versatile. You can wear your braid-out, as is, or wear it as a textured puff or updo. Braid-outs are also quick and easy DIY – do-it-yourself- styles that can be achieved with as little as six to eight braids.
Braid-outs can be done as simply as sectioning your hair, adding a small amount of water and/or pomade/alcohol free gel – depending on your hair texture, and braiding each section. After a few hours or overnight, apply a little oil/pomade to each braid, un-braid, fluff and go. You can control they size of your waves by making your braids big or small.
Braid-outs can last anywhere from one to two weeks, and can be done starting with wet or dry hair. They are also a great way to stretch-out natural hair. Some people re-braid their hair each night, but this is not necessary. Maintaining braid-outs is also very easy. Simply cover at night with a satin bonnet, and fluff in the morning.
As the wavy texture of your braid-out fades overtime you can simply re-braid sections or your entire head at night and start the process again. You can also turn your braid-out into a textured puff or updo. Also, after braiding you can add rollers to the end of each braid to achieve a wavy/curly look.
Quick Braid-out Tips
1. Make sure you start by braiding with even sections of hair to avoid having to split sections while braiding, which will result in a frizzy braid pattern.
2. Keep your braids in long enough, preferable overnight, in order for your hair to set/form the braid wavy pattern.
3. When working with wet hair, make sure your braids fully dry before unbraiding.
4. Add a little extra oil/pomade at the end of each braid and twist the ends with your fingers (or roll on rollers) to avoid frizzy ends.
5. Before removing braids add a little pomade/styling product to each braid for added shine and to help fight frizz.
Check out the videos below with step-by-step instructions on how to do braid-outs on wet and dry hair, as well as on various lengths.
Cornrow Braid-out on Wet and Dry Hair
Braid-out w/Curled Ends Ninapruitt
- Laquita Thomas – Banks